- Bronze and Iron Age from 4000 BC
Area inhabited during this period. Iron Age fort at Lochbank Farm. Loch dwellers at Castle Loch on Crannogs. Crannog in Castle Loch dated 630 A.D. Artefacts exhibited in Dumfries Museum including Dugout canoes dating from 4000 B.C., plough and Bronze pot. Plough dated to 80 B.C.
Woody Castle hill fort
- AD 200–400 Roman Era
Roman road passed through area with artefacts in Museum.
- Around 900 AD
First recorded document. A charter granted by The Lord of Annandale was signed in Lochmaben Castle
- 1170 – 1173
Bruce’s Motte, the Church and the settlement of Lochmaben were recorded in documents on lease agreements.
Records of Lochmaben Castle at Castle Loch which over the years was occupied by Scots and English garrisons as it occupied a strategic location between the two countries, Galloway and Ireland.
Lochmaben became a Royal Burgh.
James VI granted a Royal Charter to the town at a Cost of £40.
Charter renewed by James VI.
The Town Hall (Toll Booth) was built, enlarged in 1869 and still functions as Local Government Administration Office in the Town.
Lochmaben Town Hall from the church tower
Railway line was opened from Lockerbie to Dumfries. Closed in 1965.
Bruce’s Statue was erected.
Famous residents of the town
- Robert the Bruce, born at Carrick, 1274–1329. King Of Scotland from 1306 to 1329
Statue of Robert the Bruce in front of the Town Hall
- William Paterson 1658–1719, founder of the Bank of England.
- Dr James Mounsey 1710–1773, surgeon to the Empress of Russia. He retired to his estate At Rammerscales and introduced rhubarb to Scotland from Russia. His obelisk is in the Old Churchyard.
- Dr William Jardine 1784–1843, founder of the Jardine Mathieson Trading Company in China.
- Sir William Fergusson (Bart.) 1808–1877, Surgeon to King’s College Hospital.
Old Street Names
In the 19th Century Lochmaben had streets called West Street, East Street and Braegate Street which no longer appear on current maps of the Royal Burgh. West Street was renamed Princes Street, East Street was renamed Queen Street and Braegate Street became Bruce Street. The present day Castle Street was previously known as Middle Street.
"Wee Townhead" refers to the junction of Castle Street and Princes Street at Croft Terrace.
A Silver Presentation Casket
Awarded to Provost and Mrs. Halliday of Lochmaben, Presented 16th March 1906, the hinged cover decorated with a figure representing Industry of a woman seated at a spinning wheel, above the inscribed cartouche – “to Provost and Mrs. Halliday On The Occasion of The Freedom of the Burgh of Lochmaben Being conferred Upon Them By The Town Council 16th March 1906“, flanked by the Burgh seal and lion rampant medallions amongst thistle the front side with three panels of the Town Hall and Bruce statue flanked by the Watson crest to the left and Halliday coat of arms on the right above a foliate meander at each end are figures emblematic of Learning and the Arts, the back shows a view of Esthwaite the residence of Provost and Mrs. Halliday flanked by their monograms, each corner has a square tapering pillar supporting an oil lamp resting on the earth’s globe, maker Kerr and Phillips, Glasgow, 1905, 80 oz, 34.1cm wide, 20.7cm deep, 20.5cm high, together with the two illuminated burgess tickets with embellished lettering, gilt borders and related devices by Messrs. Maxwell & Son, Dumfries. Also newspaper cutting from The Dumfries and Galloway Standard, March 17th, 1906, detailing the event and contained within original case
5 November 2005
Dumfries & Galloway Museums’ Service and the Friends of Annandale and Eskdale Museums jointly purchased the casket at auction in Edinburgh, and it will be based in Annan Museum so that local people may have access to it.
- Rev William Graham – Lochmaben 500 years ago, 1865
A HIstory of the Royal Burgh of Lochmaben Published in the 1960s, copy in the Ewart Library, Dumfies
- Dr Jack Wilson's publications:
The Royal Burgh of Lochmaben 1987. Second edition 2001.
The Castles of Lochmaben 1973.
The Royal Burgh of Lochmaben 1974.
A History of Lochmaben or Further Glimpses into Lochmaben's History, published in 2008
A Guide to the Royal Burgh of Lochmaben 2011
The Churches of Lochmaben, Vol 1 1968 and Vol 2 1971.
- Isabelle Gow's (nee Wilson) publications:
"A Guid Wee Schule"---an account of life as a pupil at Lochmaben Primary School from the 1890s to the present day published in 2005.
"Gaun up Tae the Big Schule"---progressing to Lockerbie Academy, published in 2007
"World War Two--Annandale Connections"---memories of those who lived through it, published in 2009
"Nithsdale at War"---'A small snapshot of life in Nithsdale during the 2nd World War, as told by local folks and by some of the several different nationals who moved into the area at that time and stayed on...', published in 2011
"Old Moniaive, Dunscore and the Cairn Valley"---It is based on old postcards of the area and features Annie Laurie, Thomas Carlyle and Jane Haining. Published by Stenlake in 2013
"We Will Remember Them"---a survey of the men of Lochmaben Parish who died in World War 1. Each soldier has at least one page giving details of family, obituaries, place of burial and photographs. Published in 2014.
"Minutes of Note"
---a History of Curling in Lochmaben based on Minutes of the Lochmaben Curling Society, covering the period of curling in Lochmaben from 1823-63, published in 2012